The Passengers is a site-specific public art piece commissioned for the parking garage structure located at the eastern most end of Sarasota, Florida’s Main Street. It is a wall hung, multi-element sculpture of powder-coated ¼” aluminum plate.
The sculpture is a visual reminder of the former use of the site as the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot. The depot operated from 1925 to 1971. The design evolved from consideration of the traditional architectural elements of both the original building and the new building and the historic nature of the property. The site was selected for providing the best view corridor and integration with the existing structures, signage, sidewalks and roadways.